Applications of SPF Eggs
SPF eggs are used for production of variety of embryo based and cell culture derived viral vaccines, cell line development and research work in the area of biomedical and biosciences.
Some of the examples are given below:
- Production of poultry vaccines (Avian Biologicals) of international standards.
- Production of some of the human vaccines e.g. Anti-Rabies, Measles, etc.
- Development of primary cell cultures and cell lines.
- Production of Sendai virus for studies on interferons – the antiviral substances.
- To study epidemiology of poultry and human diseases e.g. isolation and characterisation of infectious agents.
- To conduct basic immunological work such as Graft Versus Host Reaction.
- To conduct research on live viruses like Rouse sarcoma virus and Lymphoid leukosis virus.
- To study virus-cell interaction in cancer processes.
- To produce SPF chickens for experimental work as sential chickens and for specific tissue adapted poultry vaccines.